This is my arrangement of Erlkönig d. 328 by Franz Schubert for oboe family instruments.
The time has come to being looking for a new instrument. There are many factors to consider but here is a brief summary of what I feel is relevant:
1. My Yamaha is still a good instrument. It’s not perfect.
2. One possibility is to look for something with a completely different character, to give as many options as possible.
3. But I’m unlikely to make serious use of more than one instrument. A better option would be to look for something similar, which fixes the faults I see with my current instrument.
4. It would be nice to find an instrument with a more lyrical, resonant upper register. I feel that my Yamaha sometimes lacks in this department. This is a crucial range in the audition circuit, and sometimes in symphony.
5. I’m not willing to compromise on response or richness of tone in the lower register.
So let the instrument tryouts begin!
The old tenon corks on my oboe are pretty definitely not going to make it through the month so I replaced them.
December concert season is almost here. This week I’ve been making reeds.
I’m using 3 kinds of staples: chiarugi 2, Guercio d11, and chiarugi 2+ (my usual) I will be waiting more notes on comparison later.
After a year of occasional tinkering a new version of my tuner is now available, feedback most welcome!